Referenced From Herbert M. Morais
Meharry Medical College has been one of the foundations for students of African descent to study medicine in the United States of America. Meharry was originally founded in 1876 and called the Medical Department of Central Tennessee College. Meharry was the first medical school in the South for African Americans. Dr. John H. Hale became director of the division of surgery of the post-graduate department, chief of staff of the department of surgery of the George W. Hubbard Hospital, and clinical professor of surgery on the Meharry faculty in the early 1920s. He was named chairman of the department of surgery and head of the hospital committee in 1938 and held those positions until his death. During his career as a surgeon and educator, he performed about thirty thousand operations and was elected the thirty-sixth president of the National Medical Association.